I don’t know about the rest of you, but the New Year always bring about in me the sudden urge to clean out everything. Part of that whole fresh start thing, right? It’s also one of the few resolutions I’ll actually stick to while I still have the motivation. Plus, this year, I already made a resolution to spend on nice things I really want instead of cheap trends or lookalikes for less that aren’t really what I want and to focus on buying things that will make getting dressed so much easier (those things that I’m always saying, “ugh I really wish I had…”) like the nice black leather moto jacket I finally splurged on years ago and still wear all the time or a timeless black coat.
I’m also one of those people who always wants to clean out my closet at the start of every new year. This year, I have a new closet, so I want to weed out the stuff that I really never wear or that I wear but don’t love to make getting dressed easier. My thinking: what if everything in my closet was something I loved? It would make getting dressed and looking/feeling chic so much easier, right?
I always like to start my closet clean-out with purging and then organizing my clothes, followed by shoes and next up, would be my bags (sort of in order of the size of my collections). I am going to work on a whole post about purging because honestly I’m not that great at it, so I’ve decided to start with my bags, since I never really purge those. That’s one area where I really focus on making investments in bags I’ll have forever. The problem is I never end up wearing half of them mostly because I’ve never really found a great way for storing my bags so that they’re easy to see so I remember I have them. Plus, I have to find a place for them now that we’ve moved and frankly, our new closets that I had custom built are huge but I focused on having space for clothes and shoes, and sort of forgot about my boxes of handbags I’ve been collecting and hope to pass down to my daughter one day.
I spent a lot of time in the black hole of Pinterest looking for purse organizing ideas and researching tons of organizational sites and books to find the best tips for storing purses to help me get all my handbags in order once and for all. Here are the best ideas and inspiration I found for organizing your purses. Now which one should I do?
1. Line up bags on overhead shelves. Place the ones you use the least on the highest shelves and keep your everyday bags on lower shelves you can more easily reach.
2. Use cubbies to keep bags organized.
3. Sort purses.
4. Use clear dividers to organize purses on shelves or in cabinets.
5. Lay large totes flat on shelves.
6. Keep bags you use all the time front and center on open shelves or cubbies.
7. Display bags on bookshelves.
8. Fill bags with tissue paper, dust bags, and/or t-shirts to keep them upright on shelves.
9. Use shelf dividers to keep bags organized on shelves.
10. Turn a bookshelf into a purse cubby by adding hooks for tote bags and lining up clutches on shelves.
11. Hang totes on shower curtain rings.
12. Arrange totes along shower curtain rods.
13. Store small purses in plastic stacking shelves.
14. Hang totes on a floor mirror.
15. Corral clutches in magazine files
16. Keep your bag collection safe in a cabinet.
17. Go for an armoire with glass doors so you can see all your bags.
18. Hang bags on wall hooks.
19. Line up bags on the back of your door.
20. Place clutches in open trays.
21. Install narrow baskets along closets walls.